Subscribe now for great recipes straight to your inbox

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday 9 December 2014

Red Velvet Cupcakes


So, it's terribly late and I've been rushing around all day sorting things out, but I did promise you the red velvet cake today. Therefore, with 10 minutes on the clock before midnight, I'm dashing this off. I apologise if this doesn't quite have my usual panache but I'm sure you can still tell it's me! And, to be honest, they say that a picture is worth a thousand words and this cake, if I do say so myself, is fairly spectacular. I also forgot to take photos of the snowman/penguin making process so I can't talk about that anyway!


Although all of these photos are of the cake I made for yesterday's christmas party, the recipe is actually for cupcakes, as I'm aware that students read my blog (hi there) and probably won't want to make a three layered cake and have access to all the tins etc. Cupcakes on the other hand only require cases and ideally but not necessarily a cupcake tray to support the sides as they cook. To make a three layered cake you just need to double all of the quantities and bake it for 25 minutes in three 8 inch cake tins. The mix makes 18 fairy cakes (the best size) or 12 american cupcakes (far too big, and anyway, you get less of them!). For the larger ones just add 3-5 minutes to the baking time.



The VERY red batter!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Recipe from Hummingbird Bakery
If you want really red cakes then change the 20ml liquid food colouring for one smallish tube of gel colouring
Oven at 170˚C
You can make all of this by hand but if you have an electric whisk then use it - it will be lighter, fluffier and most importantly, easier!


Ingredients
Batter
60g butter, room temp
150g caster sugar
1 egg
10g cocoa powder
20ml red food colouring
½tsp vanilla extract
120ml buttermilk (milk with a squeeze of lemon juice will do at a pinch)
150g plain flour
½tsp bicarbonate of soda
1½tsp white wine vinegar
Icing/frosting, whatever you want to call it
300g icing sugar
50g butter, room temp
125g cream cheese

Method
Batter
Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
Crack in the egg and beat until incorporated.
In a separate bowl, mix the vanilla, cocoa and food colouring to form a paste. Add said paste to the butter mix and make sure it's all mixed in and red before you continue.
Pour in ½ the buttermilk and incorporate.
Next in is half the flour, mix it all together now.
Repeat the previous two steps for the rest of the buttermilk and flour.
Finally add the bicarb of soda and the vinegar and beat for 3 minutes or so with as much vigour as you can (or sit back and let the machine do the work!).
Spoon into cases and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes.
Remove and let cool whilst you make the topping.
Icing/frosting
Beat the icing sugar and butter together -this is where it really pays to have and electric whisk! Although, if you are using one then make sure you place a clean tea towel over it or else you'll have impromptu snow! It was supposed to snow here yesterday, instead in rained and now my feet are freezing!
Ok, back on topic now, no more tiredness induced rambles! I missed midnight anyway but only be 15 minutes!
Add the cream cheese now and keep beating until it looks like buttercream icing. And then beat some more just to be certain.
Once the cupcakes have cooled top with the icing and enjoy nom-img on them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to cook and this blog follows my successes (and a few failures) in the kitchen. If you enjoy my posts, or think there is a problem with a recipe then please let me know